Monday, June 13, 2011

Radon: Invisible killer

Ginger Collins died of lung cancer in February. Her family believes the cause of Collins' disease can be attributed to exposure to radon, a colorless, odorless natural gas that is fairly common in Western Virginia.

By Mary Hardbarger and Laurence Hammack
The Roanoke Times

PEARISBURG -- For more than 30 years, Ginger Collins worked, prayed and raised her three daughters in the ranch-style brick house she and her husband built atop Bunker Hill. Little did she know that something inside her workplace, her refuge, her life, was slowly killing her. Collins died in February of lung cancer. She was 58.

Thing is, "Mama never smoked a day in her life," said Collins' youngest daughter, Tina Steele.

Collins' family believes that their beloved mother, wife and sister fell victim to radon, a naturally occurring gas that is the No. 2 leading cause of lung cancer -- second only to cigarette smoke.

In January, the level of radon in her home was discovered to be more than four times that recommended by the Environmental Protection Agency. Until then, the Collinses had never heard of radon, let alone known the devastation it could cause.

Full article here:

No comments:

Post a Comment